Support Worker (Learning Disability Homes)
REPORTING TO: Team Leader
To work within a team to provide care and support services for adults with learning and/or physical disabilities, and/or behaviours that may challenge; which aims to maximise the potential of individuals in line with ordinary life principles.
SKILLS / ABILITIES
- Proven ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
- Knowledge and understanding of issues relating to people with learning disabilities
- A commitment to a service which provides support to vulnerable individuals, and which is respectful
and according to the individuals’ wishes
- Good communication skills (written and verbal). Ability to communicate effectively with Clients,
colleagues, Managers and other persons with a legitimate interest in the project
- Commitment to training and development
- Flexible and innovative approach to working
- Knowledge of care planning systems
- Empathy with the concept of Social Role Valorisation/Principles of Ordinary Living
- Decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Experience of working in a multi-disciplinary setting
Experience of working in a care/support setting, ideally within learning disability services
EDUCATION, SPECIALIST KNOWLEDGE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Good general education
- Working knowledge of health and safety issues
- LDAF Award at induction and foundation standard (or must be willing to work towards and
achieve foundation standard within a given timescale
- NVQ Level 2 in social care (or must be willing to work towards and achieve minimum of Level 2
within a given timescale)
- Knowledge of regulatory framework of service provision including Care Standards Act
- Knowledge of therapeutic and non-aversive care models
- Mandatory training qualifications e.g. fire safety, first aid, food hygiene, manual handling, Health &
- Satisfactory Police Check and check against the POVA List (where applicable)
- Self-motivation and flexibility
- Commitment to the aims & objectives of the service and of Southern Cross Healthcare
- Knowledge and commitment regarding Equal Opportunities
- A commitment to undertake training and development as required
- Honesty, reliability and trustworthiness
- Car driver and ability to drive minibus where applicable
1. Work within the philosophies of the Care Centre to minimise the effects of Clients’ learning disabilities, demonstrating an understanding and commitment to the rights of people with learning disabilities.
2. Facilitate and support Clients in decision making, promoting choice and involvement giving full regard to initiatives aimed at promoting Client empowerment.
3. Ensure Clients’ individual needs are met through effective care planning and review. Review and monitor care plans.
4. Act as a Keyworker to an individual Client, taking on responsibility for specified areas of care and support. Ensure all medical needs are met and support the Client to advocate his/her own needsand wishes.
5. Support Clients’ participation in social, leisure, educational and employment opportunities within the local community in line with ordinary life principles.
6. Support Clients to access holidays and day trips of their choice.
7. Consistently apply non-aversive strategies developed in response to challenging behaviours, and contribute to the review and development of any such strategies.
8. Interact and participate with the Clients in the development of self-help skills, supporting Clients to reach their potential for independence.
9. Encourage and enable Clients to maintain acceptable levels of personal and environmental hygiene.
10. Once trained, administer medication in accordance with Company policies and procedures, and ensure that medical emergencies are dealt with appropriately. Adhere to the medication policy at all times.
11. Ensure that Clients’ personal property and clothing is maintained to a high standard, reporting any requirements to senior Staff Members.
12. Record information about Clients and ensure effective communication with all Staff Members.
13. Liaise with other agencies / professionals as necessary, in consultation with senior Staff Members.
14. Provide care and support as identified in care reviews and care plans, as directed by senior Staff Members.
15. Take responsibility for running a shift in the absence of senior Staff Members, as delegated to do so.
16. Practice maximum integrity in all dealings with Clients' personal and financial affairs, and avoid abuse of the privileged relationship that exists with Clients.
17. Participate in Staff and Client meetings as and when required.
Training and Development:
18. Maintain professional knowledge and competence.
19. Attend mandatory training days/courses, on or off site, as and when required.
20. Participate in relevant LDAF Award & N/SVQ training to achieve required qualifications.
Health & Safety:
21. Report immediately to the Home Manager, or Person in Charge, any illness of an infectious nature or accident incurred by a Client, colleague, self or another.
22. Understand, and ensure the implementation of, the Care Centre’s Health and Safety policy, and Emergency and Fire procedures.
23. Report to the Home Manager, or the Handyperson, any faulty appliances, damaged furniture, equipment or any potential hazard.
24. Promote safe working practice within the Care Centre.
25. Assist in maintaining financial records in line with Company policies and procedures.
26. Carry out administrative tasks as required.
27. Share in the completion of domestic tasks to assist in the overall running of the Care Centre. Share responsibility for shopping and preparing meals, and ensuring environmental hygiene is met throug the completion of required cleaning tasks. These should not be done in isolation but should involve Clients.
28. Work in a team, contributing to effective team working and participating in reviews of service delivery
29. Make Visitors feel welcome. Provide refreshments/assistance as and when required.
30. Promote and ensure the good reputation of the Care Centre.
31. Ensure that all information of confidential nature gained in the course of duty is not divulged to third parties.
32. Notify the Home Manager, or the Person in Charge, as soon as possible of your inability to report for duty, and also on your return to work from all periods of absence.
33. Ensure the security of the Care Centre is maintained at all times.
34. Adhere to all Company policies and procedures within the defined timescales.
35. Ensure all equipment is clean and well maintained.
36. Carry out any other tasks that may be reasonably assigned to you.
This Job Description indicates only the main duties and responsibilities of the post. It is not intended as an